This guide will explain how to configure Android devices to connect to the
eduroam network using the eduroam Configuration Assistant Tool (CAT).
This guide was made on a device running stock Android
7.1.1. Due to Android being an open OS, there are signifigant variations in
how to connect Android to the GT eduroam network. Using eduroam CAT is the
simplest way on all Android versions/devices to properly configure eduroam.
You can also view the
configuration instructions for Android
if you wish to manually configure eduroam, instead of using the CAT tool.
Important Note: If you have previously conencted your device to
the GTwifi, GTother, or GTvisitor networks, you should delete/forget
these wireless configurations prior to joining the eduroam network. Only
one GT network should be configured on any device at a given time.
In order to use the eduroam CAT tool, you will need to have Internet access to
be able to browse to https://cat.eduroam.org/
and download the eduroam CAT app. If your device has a cellular data plan, you can
skip to step 9. Otherwise, begin at step
1 to connect to temporarily connect to
GTvisitor for Internet access.
- Open Device Settings.
- Tap the Wi-Fi menu item.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on.
- GTvisitor should be in the list of avialable networks; tap it to connect.
- If you receive a message warning you about connecting to an unsecured network,
tap "CONNECT" to continue connecting.
- If you receive a notification to "Sign in to Wi-Fi network", tap the
notification to be taken to the GTvisitor captive portal. If you don't receive a
notification to sign in, open a web browser, such as Chrome, and browse to
http://188.8.131.52 to manually trigger the captive portal.
- If you receive a security warning when attempting to conenct to the captive
portal, tap "CONTINUE ANYWAY".
- On the captive portal webpage, tap the "Login" button under the "Free Access"
header to get Internet access.
- Once you have Internet access, browse to https://cat.eduroam.org/.
The CAT webpage should autofill most of the form options. Ensure they are as follows:
Tap the button at the bottom of the page.
- View this page in: English (GB)
- Select your country: U.S.A.
- Select your institution: Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus
- Choose an installer to download: Choose the version most appropriate for your device
- On the following webpage, scroll to the bottom to find links to where to
download the eduroam CAT app:
- Download and install the eduroam CAT app. When done, return to the CAT webpage in your web browser.
- Select the button at the bottom of the page to download the CAT profile
for your version of Android.
- Open the downloaded installer profile. This should open the eduroam CAT app.
- Tap the "Install" button to install the GT eduroam profile to your device.
- The CAT app will now prompt you to enter your username and password.
You username will be your GT account followed by @gatech.edu (if your GT username
is gpburdell33, use firstname.lastname@example.org for eduroam).
Use your GT account password for the password.
- Tap the "Install" button to configure your device with your username and
- Navigate to your Device Settings and select the Wi-Fi menu.
- Long press the "GTvisitor" network, and select "Forget Network" from
the resulting menu. If any other GT networks display "Saved" under the network
name, long press their names and select "Forget Network" as well.
- Tap "eduroam" in the network list to connect to eduroam.